Grad students


As a teaching assistant, project assistant, or other role where you’re in charge of managing a group of students or student staff, you have an opportunity to build inclusive practices in your space.

See the resources below for a start:

To advocate for inclusive practices in your own classroom or lab, you may try referring to the UW-Madison Strategic Framework which details the importance of retention, diversity and inclusion, nurturing growth, and building the best possible learning environment.

For curriculum development or consultation, we want to help you with your questions! Please contact Katherine Charek Briggs for general inquiries or any one of our library partners for more assistance.

There is no longer benefit coverage for domestic partners at UW. See more at the Office of Human Resources page describing Benefit Options for UW Employees with Domestic Partners.

As of the Group Insurance Board meeting on August 8, 2018, state health plans (GHC, Quartz) offered to UW-Madison employees and their dependents will cover transition care, including gender-affirming surgery, hormone therapy, and other medically necessary care beginning January 1, 2019.

There is not yet a benefit document released; however, the Board voted to have transition care covered like any other benefit if determined medically necessary by the provider.

Learn more from UW-Madison’s General Benefits Information page and the University of Wisconsin System Employee Benefits page.

Doing research

See the Academics page for lists of library affiliates, gender & sexuality databases, and LGBTQ archival projects that are all available for your use as a student scholar.

Advertising research

Are you holding a talk or event? Please let us know at so we can advertise it on the Event Update, our Facebook page, and other outlets.

If you’re hoping to reach LGBTQ students, staff, or faculty for a research study, please contact us to discuss options. We occasionally post low-risk, IRB-approved studies on our Facebook page.

We know that because of the power imbalance between some grad students and their instructors, advisors, department chairs, or PIs, it can be hard to speak up or intervene in situations of bias, harassment, or negative climate.

As a grad student, you have protections. See some options below.

  • First of all, if you are in an immediate crisis, call the 24-hour UHS Crisis Line (confidential) at 608-265-5600 (option 9), or call 911.
  • Report your experience directly here: Bias Reporting Process or see our Support & Crisis page first for more details.
  • The graduate worker union, Teaching Assistants’ Association (TAA), has a full page on your rights as a graduate student: Rights
  • The Ombuds Office is also here to help you with challenges that arise in your work environment: Ombuds FAQ
  • Finally, the Dean of Students Office offers student assistance in a variety of contexts (not confidential): Student Assistance